The Greatest Transition of My Life


Parties, night-outs, trendy clothes and gadgets, shopping, getaways, meeting new people, band concerts, mosh pits, road trips, ditching the class and sleeping over at a friend’s house are just some of the actions that gave me “guilty pleasures” on my teenage years. Those were the times where all I think about is to have a good time, to have enjoyable moments with my friends. I didn't care about everything that could happen after all those pleasurable times until that day arrived and all the guilty pleasures were gone.

It was way back 2009 when I and my relatives went out of town to visit Batangas, a province that’s 3 hours away from our province, Bulacan. We stayed at my aunt’s house, there also lived my cousin (her daughter) whom I also considered as a sister. They were celebrating their barrio fiesta at that time. Her classmates also visited her and she introduced me to them.

I was very aloof at that time, yes, I’m not that kind of person who will start the conversation when you introduce me to new people. It kind of gives me the feeling of being uncomfortable when new people are around. Yup, I’m afraid to talk to new people. I don’t know but that’s one of my negative personalities. I’m not actually anti-social, it’s just that, I’m afraid I might say something wrong and bring awkward moments to the situation. But truly, I appear unfriendly, at first, especially for people I just met. But try to ask those people who were with me every day, they’ll probably tell you the opposite of other people’s first impression of me. lol

Okay, back to my story! So my cousin introduced me to her friends and that I was just quite blah blah blah… Until this guy approached me with all his courage to talk to me even though he’s wasted after getting drunk from the after-party. We talked all evening and he even showed me how good he is at performing magic tricks. To be specific, card tricks. Yes, I was amazed. Stunned not only by his skills but also for the way he approached me and also with the way he started the conversation. It’s like he’s very different from what my personality is. Then his friends decided to go home already for it’s getting late. Wondering how we kept our communication? Yup, he asked for my phone number and I didn't rebuffed his appeal. I think he’s a nice guy and I’d also love to keep in touch with him.

Everything that’s happening in my life now started that night. He became my boyfriend after months, and months passed, we had our firsts, I fell in love with him so deeply. My mindset was changed and all I imagine was him. I believed that my world was only revolving around him. We've experienced a lot of things. We even experienced leaving both our homes just to be with each other. Yes we’re totally teenagers. We’ll do anything just to be together. Funny? For some, yes it’s really funny. But for those who have been there, it’s not. =)

There are times when we both hurt each other and stuffs like that. Sometimes, our fights are pointless. We argue over small things. Maybe those things were all because of distance. That 3-hour away distance is not easy for teenagers like us. We only get to see each other once or twice a month. And do you know what the hardest part of our relationship is? -- Temptations. We cooled off and gave some space for each other ‘til we decided to end the relationship that has been hurting us both. That’s hard especially when you've been attached to someone so deeply and suddenly you have to let them go for some reason.

Months passed and we gave our relationship a second chance. He reconciled and I forgave him. He told me that he realized what he has lost. He explained me how sleepless his nights are after our breakup. He even admitted that he was absolutely an idiot for what he did. Months came and I can say that our relationship became stronger after the breakup.

Time passed by and I felt something wrong with myself, it was September when I immediately called him and told him what I’m feeling. He visited me and brought a pregnancy test to examine if I was pregnant. We both looked over the PT as it goes through the lines. It was a double line. I was pregnant. Tears fell down my face. I was very scared at that very moment. He hugged me tight and he whispered me ‘thank you’ and even told me how much he loves me and that he’ll be responsible for everything that’s going to happen. Still, I was shocked and I can’t say anything. I’m very afraid for my family’s reaction about my situation. He courageously faced my family telling them that he’ll take care of us. (Me and our baby)

Time passed and I gave birth to a beautiful angel. The very moment we saw her, our hearts was filled with happiness. She’s very innocent and angelic. We named her “Blake” after the Hollywood actress “Blake Lively” from the popular movie and TV series, “Green Lantern” and “Gossip Girl”.

Today, we’re now living a happy life. Truly, while I am writing this article now, I can sense how blissful and contented I am with what I have now. I have a joyful family, compassionate, dependable, and loving husband by my side (I call him husband even though we’re not married yet) and a very cute angel that inspires us and gives us a huge motivation on why we should wake up every morning. Seeing them both each morning is the greatest gift God has ever given me. I couldn't ask for more aside from their good health and safety. Other than that, both our families are very supportive to where we are right now. And if I will be given the chance to come back and correct everything and turn them back to where they should be just like other teenagers, I wouldn’t be changing anything. This life that I have right now is what I want. I can’t compare the happiness of having a family to those “guilty pleasures” before. Everything is legal; we have a stable job even though we’re still young. We can still get the chance to go out on holidays and go to getaways. Our social life has expanded because we gained friends from our work places.

We can say that this transition in our life has fully changed us from a teenage girl to a woman and him, from a teenage boy to a man. We now know how to deal and talk about problems pertaining to our relationship, parenting strategies and even financial issues. We deal with our relationship maturely now compared to those days when we fight over small things.

Being a teenage parent is not always as negative as what you’re thinking. It depends upon the people and how they will handle the situation. The two of us both took risks and struggled to face the outcomes of our acts and now, we’re both living happy together and contented with everything that God has given to us. It's just a matter of acceptance, responsibility and contentment. We should stop comparing ourselves to other people's lives so that we could live a happy life. Always remember that it’s better to take every risk than to regret that you didn't do anything to make a certain thing happen. =)


Do you know any successful teenage parents? How did they make their transition from being a teenager to parents? Share them in the comments below and I'd love to hear from you. :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment